Friday, June 5, 2015

The Invisible Man


Yesterday another reality "boulder" was dropped on me to make me realize that this experience is really about to happen. I could go on about how "un-professional" my district was in not creating a time and space for a more formal introduction, but why waste my time. In the spirit of Kevin Hart...Let Me Explain...At about 11:00 a.m., my secretary walked into my office and stated that I had a guest. Let's call him "Mr. New". I walk out of my office and while shaking Mr. New's hands, he introduces himself as the new principal. Again, thanks to the district and it's leadership for emailing me, calling me, or texting me. Hell, they could have sent a pigeon or something.... THIS was how I found out who would be replacing me.....To be honest, I took it as a slap in the face. As this kids say...I just might be in my feelings though:) BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS!

While sitting and chatting, it was sort of surreal that I was no longer going to be the principal. I kind of felt like a mother bear wanting to protect her child. There was a feeling that I did not want to turn my "baby" over to someone else. I guess I know what mother's feel like the first time they drop their children off to day care. Realistically, I know that the comparison is not the same, but you get my drift! I actually think that this is a sign that I need to finally let go of the present so that I can fully appreciate what is ahead of me. I know for some, it is easy to just mentally let go and become excited about this move..and don't get me wrong, I am excited as well! However, it feels funny to go to work everyday and not be engaged in "the work". I feel like the invisible man now. Oh well, I guess this is my new normal, or at least it will be for the next two weeks. I guess it could be worse:) LOL

We have 15 more days until Sherrica and I move out. Time is flying. The following few weeks are going to be a logistical dance somewhat of the Tango to make sure that it all comes together. Packing, moving, a quick trip to Virginia, selling items, donating to Goodwill. I'm already mentally tired already! In just two more weeks, we will be out of our Atlanta home and back in the great state of Alabama:) #WAR EAGLE

With the move to Alabama also comes the realization that I will not see my Atlanta crew anymore until we are all in Abu Dhabi. This journey has been amazing to take with people who are just as excited, and wide-eyed as I am. Their support and friendship has been AMAZING! My hope is that I have been to them what they have been to me throughout this experience and WAITING:) It is also my prayer that the reasons that each of us chose to take this incredible leap of faith, will be the same reasons that keep us buoyed to not only endure, thrive beyond the culture shock, challenges, frustrations, heat, and uncertainty that we will NO DOUBT have to persevere through when we arrive.

This week a great article was published. While it is written from the perspective of a single mom living in Abu Dhabi, many of the insights that are shared, many of us can easily identify with. It was inspiring and I hope you enjoy it or are able to pass it along to someone who may be struggling with questions such as:


  • Can I really do this?
  • What about my kids?
  • What is it really like over there?


Until next time......Take Care and Be Well!







No comments:

Post a Comment