Tuesday, November 3, 2015

My First Abaya


I have officially been in Abu Dhabi going on two months now. The environment is so calm and relaxing that it actually feels like 6 months. My family and I are slowly adapting more and more to the Emirate culture and learning to appreciate their customs.

Beautiful women are dressed in Abaya's everywhere you go here. The standard uniform appears to be an Abaya and a nice handbag (YSL or Chanel). I mentioned to my husband one day that I would like to get one.  So he took me to Madinat Zayed Shopping Center to look for fabric for my Abaya. 

We found this nice little shop in the center of the mall that displayed some unique fabric. I wanted to stick with a traditional black Abaya but with a unique pattern. I decided on this black and white design with a soft texture. I felt the pattern was simple enough to fit in with the traditional attire, but with a little personality. 

The fabric was not expensive. For 4 yards we paid 120 dirhams, which is only $32 US. Initially we were told we had to travel to a separate location to get the Abaya made, however after my husband became friendly with the shop that customized his Kandura they told us about a shop located in the mall. After walking in I felt a little overwhelmed because the Abaya's had many styles and I was not sure about the one I wanted. I decided on a closed Abaya with wide sleeves and a matching headpiece. 

Speaking of culture, it was funny because as the tailor was measuring me he began to ask Marshall if the length was okay rather than me. I understand that in their culture wives are sometimes seen and not heard. A piece of me wanted to say hello…you can talk to me, but as you continue to live here you learn to respect their way of doing things. As long as it doesn’t kill, hurt, or disrespect my family I am okay with it. 

The cost to make the Abaya was also reasonable priced at 85 dirhams but without the headpiece it was only 50 dirhams. For a tailor-made Abaya + fabric it only cost 205 dirhams, which is $56 US. After waiting 3 days it was finally complete; my first Abaya. 



I truly love it and cannot wait to wear it. I plan to get more designs made in the future and when I start to work I would like to make them my standard uniform. All I need now is the YSL or Chanel bag to complete my look (wink..wink). My husband has already immersed himself in the Kandura culture (checkout his Facebook page).  

2 comments:

  1. The blog are the best that is extremely useful to keep.
    I can share the ideas of the future as this is really what I was looking for,
    I am very comfortable and pleased to come here. Thank you very much!
    Corner sofa in UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice ! This article inspire me to design my bedroom by purchasing some cool products. I recently saw home decor furniture on Sofa Upholstery Abu Dhabi What do you think about this site ?

    ReplyDelete