Tuesday, July 28, 2015

If David can wait 20 years......

to become king, then surely I can wait a few more days/weeks for my transition (2 Samuel 2:1-5:5). As many of my colleagues prepare to fly out tomorrow, I will still be in Mobile, Alabama not quite sure of my own departure date. Now, I don't mean that to sound pessimistic at all. I read the other day that perspective/outlook/attitude all rest in how you tell the (your) story. While I would be ecstatic to be flying out tomorrow, where I am currently is a great deal better than where I could be! You see, if I were still in Atlanta, today would be the first day back for teachers...signaling the start of a new school year. I know the excitement of this day and I know the anxiousness of the unknown. I ALSO know the pressure of trying to improve student achievement, staff efficacy, teaching and learning, and the culture and climate of an entire school community. Raising student and teacher outcomes and expectations is a GRIND! Don't get me wrong...there is a part of me that is sad today, but overall, I would MUCH rather be right here, right now waiting than heading back into that grind. At the same time, I am grateful for the GRIND because it has prepared me for this opportunity. I am also appreciative to ALL the teachers who enter back into this GRIND today! I will keep them uplifted continually....

For those that don't know, there are mainly two opportunities that you have to work with ADEC (Abu Dhabi Educational Council). You can work as a teacher or administrator. There are a few others,  but those are the two main positions. Both have perks and are worth exploring if you are interested. For teachers, the process, once hired, is pretty much blind. Other than teachers knowing their salary, they have no idea which of the three regions they will be placed in AND what school they will placed in. Unlike, administrators, we are told our regional placements and salary, but still are not made aware of which school. Well.....I had been placed in Al Ain, which is about an hour from Dubai and about and hour and a half from Abu Dhabi. Al Ain is considered the suburbs and more family oriented. It was also designed to be more of a "green space". Many of the WONDERFUL administrators that I have come to know and enjoy at this point, have been placed in Al Ain. Also, a good friend of mine from Atlanta was also placed in Al Ain. I say all of this to say that Al Ain was going to be a good fit for my family....however, it wasn't my first choice. Deep down, I really wanted to be in Abu Dhabi......

My wife Sherrica (who needs to blog more:), has her MBA in Marketing and even though she is an incredible mother....she really wants to work outside of the home. We both have a vision for what we want and where we want to be in 5 years and her ability to work would accelerate the fulfillment of our family goals. With that, my concern was that her professional opportunities would be limited in Al Ain, and I wasn't comfortable with her having to commute anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half to secure something in her field.

But a funny thing happened while waiting! Yesterday, while laying across the bed watching netflix (I'm currently watching every season from The Office), I noticed an email from my recruiter. I initially thought it was an update on my departure date, BUT IT WASN'T!!!! I read the email and then I read it again..and then I read it again. It was an email informing me that my regional placement had been changed from Al Ain to ABU DHABI!!!!!! YEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!! This is exactly what Sherrica and I wanted and makes the waiting worth it! While I am excited for the opportunity, this gives me more patience to wait. The housing opportunities are much more vast and in my opinion "wonderful" as Abu Dhabi is more like the city (New York City) with high rises and is more Sherrica's speed:) LOL

So in my waiting, God blessed me. Two verses come to mind:

  1. Ephesians 3:20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us. 
  2. 2 Corinthians 9:8 And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all you need, you will abound in every good work. 
While I was praying for a little thing, God was blessing me with a BIG thing that would allow the vision that he has given me for my life and the life of my family to be realized. Like Steve Harvey said..."All I gotta do is not mess it up!"

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blogs Marshall. Even if you are a sAints fan!! LOL It's very ironic that you and one of my good friends/ former coworkers are sAints fan but you both have good words to share, and I value how both of you share the love for God and family! I totally agree with you about being patient and how God will make things work for us if we just stop worrying!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Promotion and Heavenly Favor... all sprinkled in LOVE and HIS knowledge of the plans HE has for you Hunt.
    How does it feel to be BLESSED with YOUR heart's desire for your beautiful family?
    #This is your Season #GreatnessCantBeStopped

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great news! God is always faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!!! Yes! I will be there as soon as yall are settled! LOL...OH and by the way... Where is Sherri's blogs of late? LOL... JK cousin JK.
    Love the blogs...Keep up the good work fam!

    Twanda

    ReplyDelete