Monday, July 6, 2015

Rodney King said it best........




So if you have read some of my earlier posts, you know that there is no one that has lauded over Facebook more than I. Facebook has allowed me to connect with some amazing people and begin to build what I hope are some genuine friendships! However, recently I have found myself visiting some of the pages that are dedicated to those who are involved in this transition to UAE. I write this blog because there are two “mindsets” that have bothered me about what I have seen lately. My hope is that future or even current folk will read this and begin to govern themselves accordingly.

So what is it that I am speaking of…..well recently that place (Facebook) that many individuals, including myself, turned to for support, knowledge, humor, and collegiality has turned a bit sour. Now don’t get me wrong, there are FAR more positive people and well-intentioned folk than there are negative, but when it turns bad….it turns BAD! So the first mindset that bothers me are those individuals who are not there under the umbrella of positivity, reassurance, truthfulness, collegiality, and support. Yes, I have seen the same question posted several times…HELL, I might have even asked a question that has been answered 23 times before. However, you never know when the person joined the “group” and if they are asking, it means they genuinely want to know. It boggles my mind why some people would respond negatively to someone that is just asking an innocent question. And I “betcha” that these could potentially be the same folk, who wonder why they have such a hard time adjusting when their feet finally hit the sand. What they affectionately call the “sandbox” will eventually turn into the “hotbox!!!”



And while I think there is nothing worse than folk that sit behind a computer screen and say whatever they want, however they want, the next “mindset” that bothers me is those that feel like they can “regulate” other grown people by deleting them from groups. Let’s face it, I don’t like the negative voices either, however, this is Facebook and to a certain degree, what’s makes social media the forum that it is, is the opportunity to share opposing views and/or attitudes no matter how distasteful. I don’t like to play God and don’t care for others who feel like they can wield a sword of dictatorship.  If you read something that you don’t’ agree with, I have some advice for you….move on! Don’t get hung up on the ignorance or vitriol nastiness that comes from some people. Again, there are far more good folk than there is the other. Yes, on your personal page you have the freedom to do as you please when it comes to whom you accept, decline, friend, or unfriend. BUT in an open forum, come one come all. As grown ups, we should have developed the skills to be able to deal with discourse, disagreements, and disrespect. I don’t need anyone “resolving my interpersonal conflicts. I would hope that by the time anyone made this huge decision, they also would have managed to develop conflict resolution skills, a sense of patience, a positive temperament, and the ability to self regulate especially when it comes to what you type on a social media site. If not, they are ALREADY in trouble and will find much more of it when they arrive.

As a self described “lover of human dynamics”, I have a theory of why what was once beautiful has become ugly at times and the answer is simple. People have nothing else to do!!!! Think about it….most of the people are teachers and would be spending their days traveling, reading, teaching summer school, or doing nothing.at all at their own discretion. But because no one knows when he or she is leaving, everyone is holding on to his or her finances for the most part. All many can think about at this point is the UAE! Everything you have done from saving, packing, buying, reading, and moving out in some cases have ALL revolved around this dream of the UAE. “Some”, and I doubt they will admit it, have become possessed by this move and overly consumed. So much so that some have begun to turn on one another and even when those well-intentioned folk have something positive to say that “some might not like”, they are threatened with excommunication! Really???

Just like the problem is simple, the answer is even simpler. GO FIND YO ARSE SOMETHING TO DO!!!  Yes, you may not be able to travel or spend like you normally would but this is the time to be creative. If you live in a major city, I am sure there are a number of free things to do. Enjoy your family that you will not see for long stretches of time, go take some classes at the Apple store, do like my wife did and take a cake decorating class, even though she doesn’t bake. LOL It doesn’t matter what you do, just do something and leave Facebook alone for a while. No one is going anywhere anytime soon, and there is absolutely nothing new on Facebook. Stop checking your email….NEWSFLASH…AIN’T NOTHING THERE!!! Stop trying to figure out a departure date and stop listening to folk who know probably less than you do!

We will all be there soon enough and I am sure that each and everyone of us at one point or another will think back to a time where we could have done something with someone while we were still here.

So you can either drive yourself crazy waiting on something that you have absolutely no control over…OR..you can LIVE while waiting. I choose to live and if you need me, I’ll be at the beach with my kids…..its FREE!!!! LOL



1 comment: