Friday, July 31, 2015

Spouses of ADEC


Ephesian 5:21
Submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.


Being the spouse of an ADEC expat can be a perplexing process. They continue to thrive in a field they adore, and we are asked to leave behind our careers to join the journey. When my husband and I first fell in love he made the following statement, “Don’t worry about anything, I got you!” There was something about his particular tone and his eyes that allowed my wall to slowly come down and to wholeheartedly believe him. That being said 12 hours after giving birth to our daughter he received the email to travel to New York the following week for his final interview. Whoa…wait one second, I just delivered a baby! I had to remind myself that throughout our lives I knew my husband made every decision for our family through the wisdom of God, thus there was no need to stress.

After receiving the awesome news to prepare for an adventure in Abu Dhabi we were bursting with excitement. Then the reality of the move hit home. What about my career in Atlanta? Will I find my dream job in Abu Dhabi? How will I find this job without any networking connections in Abu Dhabi? While I enjoy being a stay at home mom in the interim, my desire is to focus on elevating my career in business.

After some time reflecting, I decided to utilize the faith I have in my husband and his ADEC opportunity as a stepping-stone for my career. This opportunity should allow the spouses to not only focus on obtaining a job, but rather to make their dreams a reality. Whether starting a business, working in corporate, or balancing both is completely up to you. Whatever vision God has displayed upon you can be achieved anywhere.

“Dream so often and so clearly it becomes a vision. Once you make it a vision, you start to see it. Once you see it-there’s only one way to make it a reality. You go get it"-Steve Harvey

Below are some resources I've researched to assist me as I embark on my professional introduction into Abu Dhabi.

Professional Development:

1. theMuse: The ultimate career finder and guidance destination. Any questions about creating or revising your resume and cover letter can be found here. It also provides great advice on interviewing and job searches. www.themuse.com

2. Coursera: An education platform that partners with top universities and organizations worldwide, to offer courses online for anyone to take, for free. You can also earn verified certificates to enhance your resume. https://www.coursera.org/

Facebook Groups:

1. Abu Dhabi Women’s Group: A great group to socialize and network about the ins/outs of Abu Dhabi. Anything from referred physicians, restaurants, and activities can be found here.

2. California-Abu Dhabi Connections: They meet for coffee and plan family activities. Their purpose is to build friendships and support one another.

3. Real Housewives of Abu Dhabi: A community of single or married women comprised of mothers, entrepreneurs & professionals.

Networking Groups

1. American Women Network of Abu Dhabi: An informal group of American women living and working in Abu Dhabi. They offer coffee meet-ups and other social activities. http://www.awnabudhabi.com/
Membership is free

2. ExpatWomen.com: A platform that offers support to women and families taking on new expat challenges. They provide information on family life, food, entertainment, education, shopping, where to live, jobs, health and sightseeing in Abu Dhabi. http://www.expatwoman.com/

I hope these resources are instrumental in making your professional transition less stressful.


3 comments:

  1. The BEST is yet to come HUNTS. CONTINUE to labor with the Joy of the LORD in HIS perfect will for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoy reading your blog, my husband is applying for a job in Abu Dhabi as well and we are going with him. I had some questions regarding the paperwork authentication. I was wondering if you answer some of my questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heydi! Yes, you can email me directly at mhuntiii@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete