Saturday, August 15, 2015

And so it begins……..

Let me give a disclaimer that this will be a long post as there are a few topics that I want to cover. I will break them into sections just in case one section appeals more to you than another.



The WAIT……

Now for those that will read this post who have already been through it, those that are going through it now, and those that will HAVE to go through it in the future…..it is simple dreadful. I am not going to sugar coat it! You will go crazy some days. For me the wait was not bad during the months of June and “most of July due to me having my boys and doing a lot of vacationing with them. We (admin) were told to be ready mid to late July so the “waiting” for me was not a real thing because I was not expecting to leave before the end of July. Well……a funny thing happened. Teachers, that’s right….teachers began to get their notices to leave August 6th and 7th. Now, I would be lying if I told you a bit of my “admin” ego didn’t kick inJ I thought to myself, surely, admin would go before teachers. Nonetheless, this started the “waiting” for me. AND THEN IT HAPPENED! Other admin began to receive notification about leaving on July 29th and 30th, just as our recruiters had told us. But I never received that elusive GOLDEN e-ticket.

One of the aspects of waiting that drives you absolutely mad is that there is no rhyme or reason as to why some people leave before others. Furthering infuriating your mental state is when some people post on Facebook how excited they are to be leaving even though they just submitted paperwork 6 weeks ago and yours has been in for 4 months.  WHAT THE HELL!!! There is a biblical lesson in learning to rejoice and celebrate others while waiting on your blessing….BUT IT’S HARD!!!!

Now, believe it or not, and others can chime in with an AMEN here who have gone through this, the waiting doesn’t begin until others have gone. When they start posting pictures of their travels, excursions, housing (if I see one more picture of someones bidet toilet I am going to screamJ), and etc., you die a thousand deaths with each new posting and you can’t help but to click on the photos. I don’t want anyone to get this emotion confused with “hate” or “shade”. It’s just that you are thinking you want the same experience! I CANNOT stress enough how tough this period of time is. Those in group 1 will talk about the wait, but those in the groups that come after them, have lived “the wait”. I tried to hide my daily disappointment from others, while believing that GOD had a plan and my leaving would be through and by his will and not mine, BUT STILL! A brother was hurting when those daily and constant emails checks went unanswered. And the sad part is, I could tell you to spend time with your family, or go do something that you have never done, but the truth is, your mind will always be wondering/wanting “that email.”

Yet another aspect of “the wait” and the one that I think plays the most havoc in your mind is that it will make you question your decision. As money gets “thinner” and time seemingly gets longer, you start to ask yourself did I make the right decision. In my case, Atlanta Public Schools salary for principals was nothing to sneeze at. With three kids, I began to question (quietly) had I made the right decision. Even though my reasons were strong and good for wanting this new opportunity, I wrestled and contemplated about what I had done by leaving a job that I enjoyed seeking something that I might LOVE. It’s hard to stand still when the winds of “the wait” are blowing and it’s even harder to stay steadfast in your decision without thinking, “What in the world was I thinking!”

Even though it was hard and admittedly my faith wavered at times, I prayed about it and I believed in it. I had a great support system in my wife and others who had already gone over that would check on me and give me words of encouragement. All I can offer is my hope that EVERYONE going forward will not have to “live the wait” for long.

For me, “the wait” ended at a designed and ordained moment.  A good friend of mine who is also an admin, called me earlier excited about receiving her ticket. I was genuinely happy for her, but a bit nervous that I had not received “my” email.  Again, “the wait” is HELL when you know others are leaving or have gone. I decided to log onto Facebook to see what was floating in the atmosphere. Another friend of mine on Facebook had posted her daily affirmation/devotion. In it, she talked about being unique and how God has not forgotten you. A few days prior, I had told myself that I was going to read more post from people about GOD, especially if I could click on the ratchet fight clipsJ Don’t act like it’s just me….. I hit the “like” button because something about GOD not forgetting about me resonated with me. When I tell you that not 10 minutes later the email came, I was like WOW….nobody BUT GOD! (the two most powerful words in the bible)

Preparing Ourselves For the Blessing…..

You see, many folk who have this opportunity will waste it. Yes, they will travel and live it up, and come back in a number of years broke, busted, and disgusted. Some of you know I AINT LYING! This decision was huge for me because I sacrificed a great deal and I also asked my wife to sacrifice as well. Now I’m not trying to tell other grown folks what to do, but I will ask them to take an opportunity to think about the end game. Maybe this opportunity is about traveling the world and making memories and then going back to the “rat race” at some point. My only advice would be to take a little money back to the “rat race!”

If I knew then what I know now…I would be more than halfway to being a millionaire. I look at some of the folk fortunate enough to have this opportunity and I am envious of their age. Oh to be 25 with this opportunity and the knowledge that I have now. I WOULD BE DANGEROUS. But since I’m not 25, I have to be much more savvy and intentional with my finances. Have you ever seen people who should be enjoying retirement working. I’m not talking about the ones that love being active so they work. I’m talking about the ones that HAVE TO WORK. If you take nothing else from this blog, please meet with someone about your financial future so that when you are done chasing “kids”, you can enjoy the rest of your years.

There is a fallacy that since I make more then I am going to have more to save. WRONG!!!! If you couldn’t save a quarter in the states, then you won’t be able to save a dollar in the UAE. The trappings are too real. The palaces, the malls, the travel, the cars. They are all much more easily assessable now and the temptation to act as if you were born of such means is luring and easily exploitable. Where else in the world could you walk into a bank and walk out with a loan 3-5 times what you make by simply providing a letter that states how much your earn yearly.  No credit check. No background check. No nothing! Certainly not in the US! This is the true meaning of a no hassle loan!

As sure as I am typing this, there will be one or more that fall prey and find themselves in trouble.  What’s the worse that can happen in the US, bill collectors call and you have the option of dodging them or telling them to go tale a flying leap. NOT IN THE U.A.E! In the UAE, you will go to jail, have your passport denied, and be stuck until you can pay off your debts that incur interest at rates sometimes quicker than you can pay.


Prepare yourself for this blessing. Do not waste a huge opportunity by just “balling out”. Enjoy the UAE….travel….but at the end of the day, please have something (monetarily) to show for it. AND monetarily may mean that you paid off the debts you brought from home. Just be smart and wise and understand that “everything” that might be at your disposal, still may not be meant for your “disposal!”

No comments:

Post a Comment