Sunday, September 27, 2015

Our First Two Weeks

I can not believe two weeks have come and gone. I feel like we were in Alabama just yesterday. I have to admit time is not a factor here. The environment is very calming and relaxing that I often forget what day it is. In the short amount of time, we have made progress. We found furniture, purchased a car, painted the apartment, and made new friends in the process.

Here is my assessment so far.

Out of the 4 malls we’ve visited, there is something about each of them that I like. Yas Mall has the cutest clothing boutiques where I would shop for clothes. It's also attached to IKEA and Ferrari World. Marina Mall is very beautiful because it's near the beach and it has all of the high-end designer shops. Dalma mall was good for furniture shopping and it houses the best meal I’ve had thus far. Finally Mushirf mall was very practical and good for children because of the large fish tank elevator and an amusement center inside. This mall is also connected to a meat (if you have weak tummy this is not for you. You will see whole animal legs and other limbs displayed), seafood, and vegetable market. FYI do not take any photos outside of the meat and seafood market, a police officer stopped me as I was taking a photo.

The best coffee shop thus far is La Brioche. They have the best caramel frappuccino and apple turnover. It is chain coffee shop and can be found around the city. It is also a great meeting location.

 The best meal I have had was from this Italian restaurant in Dalma Mall called Buca di Beppo. The hospitality and service was amazing. They take you on a tour of the kitchen and you can even dine in the kitchen on your birthday. They have a wall dedicated to celebrities who have dined there. I had the shrimp Florentine, rosemary potatoes, and cheese garlic bread. My husband ordered the Buca Trio Platter with fried calamari, fried mozzarella & stuffed mushrooms. We both were very pleased with everything.


 We also experienced a touch of home by going to Marrybrown in Mushrif Mall for some friend chicken. It was pretty tasty and comparable to the fried chicken back home in Alabama. This is a great spot if you are seeking a quick meal. 


 We ventured out and dined with our friends Renee and Bobby at Bonna Annee, an Ethiopian restaurant. I ordered the Doro Wet (chicken stew with onions, tomatoes, garlic, and Ethiopian chili powder) and Marshall ordered the Bonnanne special (mix of key wet, minchet, abesh, kekel, meser be sega, tibs, fir fir, and shiro). The food was different but good. FYI: It is a cash only establishment. 


 All in all the first two weeks have been great. We anticipate some normalcy once our furniture arrives and we are settled.

No comments:

Post a Comment