Tuesday, September 15, 2015

THE BIG ARRIVAL

The past week has been sort of a blur. I now see how people end up starting blogs and stopping. The days fly by and you just forget either to do it and/or all that has happened. I normally jot things down on my phone as a reminder, but honestly I have been on the move….literally. Last week was my first full week out of the hotel, and other than the free breakfast in the morning, I really didn’t miss it. The week was really about getting ready for Sherrica and Maddy’s arrival.

TIP: If you have visitors, family, and/or friends coming, you can hire a service at the airport to meet them and take them through the different stations such as visa stamping, customs, and the eye screen. It beats them having to wait in line. While Sherrica didn’t think much of it, I think I would rather have the service than not. You can even pre-pay for porter service. For more information, look on line at the Abu Dhabi Airport website and search for Meet & Greet.

Still waiting to get paid seems to be the theme by many here. Some have been here since July. I cannot stress enough to save as much as you can before you get here…especially future ADMIN! ADEC moves at their own speed and today, I found out why from a local. He saw the grey in my beard and asked me why? Before I could answer her told me, “grey, you think to much!” I was a little bewildered and then he explained that thinking/worrying cause grey and early death. He said that there is no reason to be in any hurry (Inshallah). “Life, take time..no rush”. I laughed but you had to be here. He was so cool and calm and he had not a care in the world. There is some truth to this. I met a man that looked like he was 35 (at best) who actually was 53!


KANDORA!!!

So, I finally mustered enough courage to ask my principal about me wearing a kandora. I had asked several other Emiratis about their feelings of westerners wearing them as I had heard conflicting reports. What I found was that, I would be well received if I wore one and that it would mean a great deal to the students, staff, parents, and community. BUT, I still needed to ask my principal. Much to my surprise, he smiled wide and told me YES! YES! YES! One of the office assistants even offered to take me to a local tailor to have one made. I cannot tell you how good they look up close and much to my surprise, you can wear different colors. However, white and cream seem to be the favored colors of most men. I think I will stick to the basics!!!

I GOT MY FIRST NOSE RUB!

"Mr." "Mr." "Mr." was what I heard. The kids and staff often call me this. Rarely do I hear the rest...Marshall. Yes, everyone goes by their first name here (Mr.Marshall). I turned and there was a little kid extending his hand. At first, I thought he was looking for my customary "xploding fist bump", but then he grabbed my hand and pulled me close to his face. Before I realized what was happening, we were rubbing noses. Now, I have seen this done by many Emirati men, but had yet to experience it for myself. While this may seem weird to many, and to me at first, it is a sign of friendship and respect. In the Muslim culture, nose-rubbing has been passed down from generation to generation. It is a unique way of greeting, showing friendship and deep respect. The old custom of rubbing noses is not an Arab invention but the code of indigenous peoples in many parts of the world. The Inuit and the Scandinavians also do it. It varies from rubbing to kissing, but they all require the noses to touch.This custom is linked with pride and dignity. As people who worship God, we tend to bow and prostrate by touching our forehead and nose to the ground as a sign of respect. It also translates into greeting others, especially among Emiratis and people from the region. Like with most kids, if one sees something, others will often copy, so now I find myself rubbing noses and giving "xploding fist bumps" all day!

HOME SWEET HOME


So the Queen and Princess arrived last Friday. For the most part they had a good flight.....only one bag was lost:) Thankfully, the airline delivered it the next day. Sky Tower is where we will call home for at least the next two years! We are still in the process of buying furniture and selecting paint colors. We want to make it really feel like our home and oasis in the middle of this huge oasis:) 
In front of Ferrari World in YAS Mall

Sherrica and Maddy
There is still SO much to do before we are settled. I just received my National ID and now I have to begin the process of sponsoring Sherrica and Maddy. It is a somewhat complicated task with a number of steps and expense along the way. Of course, I will chronicle this journey for you so that hopefully the steps are made simpler for those that follow me. Maybe by the end of October, we will finally be settled and ready for visitors! Who's coming first?

4 comments:

  1. Where's the picture of you sporting your custom tailored kandora?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My passport is ready to be stamped! -V. Williams

    ReplyDelete
  3. My passport is ready to be stamped! -V. Williams

    ReplyDelete
  4. My passport is ready to be stamped! -V. Williams

    ReplyDelete