Sunday, September 27, 2015

“Today’s Disappointment, Is Tomorrow’s Purpose”





Last night as my husband, daughter, and I sat out by the pool overlooking the skyline; the thought of Purpose was in the forefront of my mind. I discussed with my husband that I pray God will reveal to me “My Purpose” within this opportunity.

The decision to move my life was a process and was not made overnight. When I was 3 months pregnant, I knew my company would release me of my duties. My intuition came from a discussion I had with the CEO of my company about expectations three years prior. His opinion was that a woman could either be two things; a successful businesswoman or a great mom, but not both. After working in finance in NYC this way of thought was not foreign to me. At that moment Marshall and I began to prepare by taking a Dave Ramsey finance course, saving, and living minimally to organize our lives based on one salary.  Long story short, I was right and my company released me of my duties two months after I gave birth. Although it was a blow to my ego (who wants to be fired), I really do not have anything negative to say about the process. My CEO was very supportive of me during my pregnancy (I had a few complications) and after I gave birth. But at the end of the day I know Business is just Business.

When the possibility for our family to have this opportunity presented itself, deep down inside I had fears. The fear of moving with an infant with no family support, the fear of losing myself inside this new role as a wife and mother, and the fear of my professional goals diminishing. I never expressed these thoughts to my husband because I trusted he would make the right decisions for our children and myself. 

My husband has truly redefined my definition of partnership and what it means to trust. Anyone who decides to take this path needs to ensure they have a pact to remain supportive and encouraging to not only the person with the opportunity, but the other spouse who is sacrificing a piece of themselves as well.

It wasn’t until I read John 13:17 that I had my Aha moment. “If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.” If I am not aware of anything else in this world, I know that my God is Loving, Reliable, and Faithful. He has orchestrated each minute detail of my life for my good, even when I thought those things were negative or made me uncomfortable.

I came to the conclusion that my Purpose is to Hunt For My Greatness in my marriage, as a parent and in my professional aspirations; and to release all expectations to God and allow Him to accomplish his will in my life. In the meantime I plan to enjoy my beautiful view as I arise each morning, have a mocktail (a cocktail without the liquor) with my family at the pool, and embrace this new culture.

4 comments:

  1. Your words speak to me on a level I do not have words to express...only tears(not of sadness). Thank you allowing God to use you, for being a willing vessel. I love the person you are and I don't even know you. But your heart is pure and your words are true.

    "My husband has truly redefined my definition of partnership and what it means to trust. Anyone who decides to take this path needs to ensure they have a pact to remain supportive and encouraging to not only the person with the opportunity, but the other spouse who is sacrificing a piece of themselves as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I am so happy to have the Hunts in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're happy to have the Carter's in our lives:)

      Delete