Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Teachable Moments...

I often think about the things that I wish I had done more of, less of, or completely different when I was a principal. One of the elements of my leadership that I wish I had done more of is to stop and take notice of current events. As a principal of two predominately African American Elementary Schools, particularly in Atlanta, so much happened during the last two years that should have prompted dialogue and critical discussions in all of my classrooms. I think often times; we as administrators and teachers get caught up in the need to ensure kids are learning to read, multiply, and write. However, school should be about teaching the entire child and as so many events that occurred were extremely poignant and pointed at “black folk”. I think I, along with my staff, missed some teachable moments.

This past weekend 45 U.A.E servicemen lost their lives in a bombing in Yemen. As a result, Sheik Zayed pronounced three days of mourning for the country. During this time, no music is played on the radio and the country focuses on the lives of the soldiers. What struck me additionally was that ADEC (Academic Ministry) sent guidelines to the principals that they should spend the first 10 minutes honoring the soldiers. Teachers were then instructed to speak to the children about sacrifice and all that it meant.


Some might not understand the gravity of this, but it speaks to the mindset of the people and how they value life and each other. In the U.S. soldiers are killed everyday and it is so common that it is not even newsworthy anymore. I can’t help but wonder if our lives were interrupted every time a soldier died, if we would think differently about war and conflict. Sunday was both a teachable moment for me, as well as for the students.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely! Always got in trouble for talking about the events that affected our communities. I have no regrets. Teach the whole child. I am so ready for my face to face interview! I'm ret ta go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica! Are you trying to come over in January? Wishing you much luck, but mostly God's grace and mercy! You got this!

    ReplyDelete