Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Stop trying to explain......


Now if you have friends, family, or co-workers like mine, you have probably heard all the (how shall I put it)...ill-informed comments or questions. Tell me if you have heard any of these:


  • Is is safe?
  • What about terrorists?
  • You aren't afraid?
  • How does your wife feel about having to wear all that stuff?
  • They don't treat us right over there?
  • WAY OVER THERE!!!!
  • How are you going to leave your kids?
  • You crazy, I wouldn't ever go over "there".

Here are my normal retorts to these questions or comments:)

  • Is is safe?-safer than most communities in the U.S.
  • What about terrorists?- what about them, last time I heard "Isis" wasn't located in that region. There is a difference between Pakistan and Abu Dhabi!
  • You aren't afraid?- no more afraid than I would be out late at night in bankhead! (those in ATL no what I mean)
  • How does your wife feel about having to wear all that stuff?- you mean dresses from Old Navy! (I normally walk away after I see I have left them utterly confused)
  • They don't treat us right over there?- Who is "us" and how do you know? Most people cant articulate a real reason.
  • WAY OVER THERE!!!!- YES, WAY OVER THERE in my most gleeful voice!
  • How are you going to leave your kids?- Yes, it is an incredible sacrifice but the opportunity to show them new cultures and countries is worth the sacrifice...By the way, where are you taking your children on vacation?...Oh Six flags:) I'm sure they will enjoy the rollercoasters and long lines...
  • You crazy, I wouldn't ever go over "there". Then don't, I wasn't trying to recruit you!
I am sure that you can add many more to the list, but you get my drift. When God gives you a vision, he will also give you "provision", which is a way to make it happen. MANY, MOST, and the MAJORITY will not get it. Not only will they not get it, they will try to kill your vision. People with no vision are often dream killers!  Can I get an AMEN?!!! I once heard T.D. Jakes talk about the vision of a Giraffe versus the vision of a turtle. Turtles (while cute) often see obstacles. Because their vision is so low to the ground they rarely see anything beyond the front of their nose. I would also add that most turtles are slow and snapping. Don't give your vision to a slow person who might try to snap your dream!

But Giraffes, while not the most graceful at times, GET IT! They see over the trees to the Promise Land. They understand that there are challenges and obstacles, but they also understand that the focus should not be on problems of the work, but the PROMISE OF THE HARVEST!

This is a tremendous opportunity for us all! Don't waste huge amounts of time trying to convince people of what they cannot see. Plato's Allegory of the Cave is a great way to describe these type of people. The ONLY believe what they can ONLY see. Isn't that a horrible way to live:) Where would many of our inventions come from??

Live your life responsibly, enjoy your life, make every moment a learning and teachable moment, and do not apologize for your choices and decisions. Remember you are a giraffe and God blessed you with the vision...not THEM! If he thought they could handle it, then he would have blessed them with it. 

Remember....You NEVER see a giraffe talking to a turtle!!! 





4 comments:

  1. I've been asked some of these same questions; so annoying!! Your answers are hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes God. You've got me shouting in this house right now! PREACH. I'm surrounded by a gang of turtles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually didnt realize how many turtles I had in my life until this opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've told most of my family of my plans to move to Abu Dhabi/Dubai and surprisingly they have been very supportive of my plans. Having the support of my loved ones, makes this process much easier. Keep in mind that I haven't received an offer, let alone an interview. Lol! But I feel it in my soul that this is my opportunity and I'm ready to see the world.

    ReplyDelete