Friday, May 1, 2015

This is a HUGE Leap of Faith....



I can hear the "ole" folk saying...I can't believe you quit "yo guud payin job! LOL Well....I did just that and in a matter of a few keys strokes, I am officially unemployed as of June 30th! I can't remember the last time I didn't have a job. Yes, technically, I do, but until I receive an airline ticket this fear and anxiety will rest on my chest like a 3 ton elephant. I have a wife, three kids, and responsibilities so those key strokes were much bigger than just the 1x1 squares on a computer. They represented financial security and a peace of mind.

Am I thrilled at the opportunity, YES! Does this in some ways scare the hell out of me, YES! I keep telling myself, many other before me and along this same journey with me are having to make the same leap. AND, for those before us, it seems as if there was someone (ADEC) on the other end to catch them. That's somewhat comforting........

The other nerve racking part that at the same time gives me great feelings of joyful anticipation is the unknown. See, in my current role, I know the challenges, the hills, the valleys, the obstacles, the bureaucracy, and the joys. There....I KNOW NOTHING!! I have read all there is to read, facebooked folk who are over there to get their experience, and researched things on my own....BUT NOTHING will compare to actually placing my feet in the sand and experiencing it for myself.


So here I sit....excited, nervous, imaginative, conflicted, worried, happy......



Praying to GOD that I have made the right decision for me, for my family, and for my future. I think so, but only time will tell. For now, ALL I can do is sit here and daydream about what is to come and appreciate the time that I have left with family and friends (it kinda sounds like I am dying). 

One thing I WILL DO is DECOMPRESS from the last 6 years!!!!! Each summer for one reason or another, while teachers are somewhat able to enjoy their summer break, I, a principal, start the process of retooling for the next year. Now, I'm not complaining because that's what I signed up for. However, it is draining. Yes, I might have taken a week or two in the summer time, but any administrator knows, you can probably find an iphone or laptop not far away crafting School Improvement Plans and re-doing handbooks, and writing newsletters. I have even be known to conduct skype interviews while on vacation... BUT NOT THIS SUMMER! I am going to relax, refresh, and enjoy the quiet of the beach, the pool, but mostly, I'm going to enjoy NOT WORKING!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment